Modifying And Enforcing Family Law Court Orders

When an individual's circumstances substantially change, the terms of an existing court order related to child custody, child support or alimony may also change.

At Wolfson & Bernazzani, PLLC, our attorneys help clients who wish to modify the terms of existing family law-related court orders. We also provide legal help to clients who need to enforce existing orders or to block another party's request for modification.

What Are The Grounds For A Modification?

Parents often seek to modify child custody and visitation terms in situations such as:

  • Parental relocation for work
  • A child is subjected to a harmful environment such as an abusive or neglectful home
  • One parent interferes with the other parent's residential responsibilities (such as refusing to share access to the child)
  • Both parents agree that the current order's terms are not working, and they agree to change them
  • A child wishes to change his or her living arrangements (if sufficiently mature)

Likewise, there are circumstances in which parents and/or divorced spouses can seek to modify the terms of a child support or spousal support (alimony). Often, these modifications are sought when one parent or former spouse experiences a substantial increase or decrease in income, due to job promotion, unemployment, financial windfall or some other reason.

It is important to understand that modifications are almost never automatic, even when parties agree. Nevertheless, judges most frequently grant modifications when parties agree to the terms in advance of a court hearing.

Contact Our Lawyers Today For Help Enforcing Your Rights

People can be held in contempt of court when they fail to meet obligations specified in a court order. If your ex-spouse fails to pay child support or alimony, or violates the terms of a custody or visitation order, the Manchester and Nashua modification attorneys at Wolfson & Bernazzani, PLLC, can work to ensure court orders are enforced.

For a free initial consultation, contact our law firm online or by calling our Nashua office at 866-211-5601.

Se habla español